Taylor Swift's 1989 (2014) Review

For my first review here, I decided to finish something I promised I'd review on Pulse. It's from an artist who I've stated I was never a fan of, but didn't really hate: Taylor Swift.

Last time, I reviewed Fearless, and despite my rating, I DID NOT LIKE IT. To me, it turned from a simple pop country album, to nothing but BOY MOPING, and my god, it really got annoying. I can't complain about the AOTY win though, because while I believe the Grammys have always been full of shit, there really wasn't that much selection, and even Gaga was just new at the time.

However, I decided to skip two albums, if that was all it's gonna be. Now, it's on her most acclaimed album, and the one Kendrick Lamar fans used as ammo practice: 1989.

Released On: October 27, 2014 (The same week that gave us John Wick..yay!)
Now, instead of explaining things now, here's how I do my reviews. I give my thoughts on each song, and then give my final thoughts on the album. It kinda helps me jog my memory a little.

1. Welcome To New York
Ah, I remember this one. From The Secret Life of Pets, pretty cute and fun movie. But anyways, how does this opener turn out. Actually pretty good, and pretty fun one to begin this. The song is not really a song about New York, but more of a love song about a new start to a relationship, which will be paradise. Right off the bat, I'm hooked. This may not be the best song on the album, but definitely one to get you invested. 3/4

2. Blank Space
Our first big single from the album, and a PHENOMENAL one at that. Other than it being one of Taylor's best performances, and great production, at this point, it's lyrically one of the best songs on here. Basically, this is a parody of Taylor herself, playing a character, who's based off what the media portrays her as: a failure at relationships, and an attention whore. However, unlike that "Old Taylor is dead" BS in the future, this isn't soulless. In fact, she's actually have a lot fun with this one. With this self-parody, it's worth a 4/4.

3. Style
Another great single and track on here. It's song about a relationship that's keeps falling and yet getting back together ...AND IT IS AWESOME! A memorable chorus, and a great tale of a Bonnie & Clyde, or some dysfunctional, but sexy couple I can't name-like relationship. Just, one of the best singles from 2015. 4/4

4. Out Of The Woods
Now we're going HEAVY on the production, and yes, we get another great song. Basically, it's a song about a relationship coming out of a dark place. Once again, a memorable, yet repetitive chorus, great production, and another great performance. 4/4 (MY GOD, LAMB didn't have this much 4/4s in a row).

5. All You Had To Do Was Stay
A MINUTE, JUST TAKE, YOUR...wrong song. Now, we get to our first filler track. Basically, we're getting back to the Fearless approach. But, this one doesn't annoy me. It's still pretty good. Basically, it's about a boy wanting Taylor back, but she decides "you had your chance, and if you loved me, you should've never left". FINALLY, AFTER AN ENTIRE ALBUM OF BITCH...sorry. It's still a great ballad about moving on. Not the best on the album, but still enjoyable. 3/4

6. Shake It Off
Now we get to the most mixed song on the album. You either hate it, or love it. After a while, I'm on the defending side. Basically, this is Taylor's Hollaback Girl, another GP of mine. This time, Taylor's response to criticism is to shake it off. Of course, I hate songs that have this message, because all it does it make the person sound immature...either that, or most of the songs that have this message are poorly made. However, Taylor is having SO much fun with this, that it makes it a jam. Also, I don't mind the rapping part that much anymore. So yeah, despite its flaws, this is another GP. 3/4

7. I Wish You Would
Well this completely contradicts Stay. But nitpicks aside, we do have another filler track, about Taylor regretting leaving a relationship, hoping her lover comes back. Again, more Fearless vibes, but just like Stay, the performance and production saves it. Yeah..that's it really. 3/4

8. Bad Blood
Now we get to the most hated song on this album. It's not about a broken relationship, but it's a DISS TRACK. Towards Katy I have no personality in the future Perry. Of course, I have one question from these lyrics:

Did you think we'd be fine? Still got scars on my back from your knife
So don't think it's in the past, these kinda wounds they last and they last.
Now did you think it all through? All these things will catch up to you
And time can heal but this won't, so if you're coming my way, just don't


My god, WHAT THE FUCK DID SHE DO TO YOU?! Did she assault you or something? What is it that this future overrated hack did that makes you go all Praying on her? 

Looking it up, I thought it was just stolen dancers, which would've kinda made the songs so overdramatic. But to be honest, I'd give this a 2.5/4. Not too bad sounding, but still, feels a little too pushy for the album. BTW, what was Katy's response to this?

"SWISH SWISH BICH"

9. Wildest Dreams
Now we get into another great single. It's another break-up song, where Taylor sees her lover as too good for her. I love the production, and while it is possibly the saddest ballad on here, Taylor still gives an amazing performance, with a great tale about a future failed relationship. 4/4

10. How You Get The Girl
More filler tracks, but a cute one this time. Basically, it's Taylor telling a man to be honest and admit he fucked up, and that's how he'll be forgiven, since you know, honesty is the best policy. Probably my favorite filler track on here, for such a great message.  3.5/4

11. This Love
No, this has nothing to do with ANOTHER future failure artist of 2017. But this is DEFINITELY the closest we'll get to Fearless. Basically, it a song about a broken relationship. BUT, unlike Fearless, I'm invested in this one, because I'm invested with the album.  It's a great performance by Taylor, with some great vocal echoes, and yeah, a good filler track altogether. 3.5/4

12. I Know Places
A song about a relationship that Taylor tries to save. This has some of the best metaphors on the album.

"They are the hunters, and we are the foxes"

Other than the good writing, it's another fun one, with the same key elements. 3.5/4

13. Clean
For a finale, we have perhaps the most emotional song on here, and where Taylor goes ALL OUT with the metaphors. Basically, it's about another bad relationship. Again, same key elements: writing performance ETC. 3.5/4

FINAL THOUGHTS:
HOLY SHIT, was this a MAJOR 180 on Fearless. I'm sorry for the constant comparisoons, but my god, this was everything that album wasn't. 

First off, the boy moping isn't over yet. Clearly, every song on here, besides Bad Blood, is about boy 
problems. However, I actually can get past this, because Taylor actually gained something she didn't have in Fearless: A PERSONALITY. She's clearly having more fun in here than in Fearless, and if there's two things i love, it's personality and fun...something THAT ANOTHER ARTIST WHO WAS ONCE AS BIG AS SWIFT THOUGHT SHE DIDNT NEED IN FAVOR OF WOKE BULLS..Sorry, on a tangit again. But anyways, with this new style, I actually didn't mind the themes. 


Her songwriting and storytelling ESPECIALLY got better. So many memorable verses and lyrics on here, it makes you wish that one Coke commercial where she wrote 22 had some of these lines. Instead of just moping, she got BETTER. Makes you glad that the old Taylor is dead...still a stupid song. 

Also, the whole album gives an 80's vibe to it, which but again, is another thumbs up. 

If I had to give one flaw though, its that the filler tracks are quite noticeable. Granted, they're GOOD filler, but still, filler nonetheless.

So yeah, I liked this album, a lot. I might even LOVE it.

4.5/5

Now, I'm glad this won AOTY. Granted, TPAB was PHENOMENAL, but I guess it felt a little disjointed, though I think Kendrick was just trying to distance himself from mainstream music. But still, there are WORST Grammy winners out there, with their biased ass choosing white guys with guitars...I think I should do another rant.

Favorites: 
Style, Wildest Dreams, Blank Space, Out Of The Woods, Shake It Off, I Know Places, How You Get The Girl

Least Favorites:
Bad Blood

Well, that was my first review for this site..and my final 2017 review. See you again next year, where I begin 2018 with Little Mix, and see if they can wash Like Mariah out of my mouth. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Timberlake - Man Of The Woods (2018) Review

Little Mix - Salute (2013) Review