Music Venting #1: Julia Michaels

This is a new thing I want to do. Originally, I was gonna do a top 10 worst hits of 2017 list. However, it honestly felt like I was being too overly harsh on my rankings. Yet, I wanted to rant on artists I hate, A LOT. So I decided, why not create a blog dedicated to my rants or thoughts on music or anything else? So yeah, this is my first ever edition of Venting.

You want to know what song annoyed me a lot from 2017? Issues. Yes, that song that's now a Grammy nominee for Single Of The Year. Ok, seriously, Single Of The Year? Really? This is the biggest load of nothing I've heard all year. I mean, there is nothing to get into at the song at all. I mean, we have this dysfunctional relationship, and yet, all Julia can say is that they both have issues....Seriously, this is BORING. This isn't some big emotional ballad. Fuck, even Taylor Swift in her Fearless days has more energy than this. I mean, fuck, how can something this boring get nominated for a..oh wait, this is the Grammys. They choose bland shit over  something original ALL the time, which I will get into some other time.

But it's not just the songwriting that's the problem. It's her voice. Other than the fact that she just sounds like another damn indie pop clone riding off the coat tails of Lorde (Alessia Clara, Daya, Halsey ETC.), she CANNOT sing in this one. She sounds so disjointed in this, and never have I heard so many voice cracks in one song. I mean damn, Bjork had voice cracks, Gwen Stefani had voice cracks, but never have it as bad as Julia here. Just, my god, she does not have a good voice. BTW, she wrote for Gwen in her Truth album, and yes, she even wrote Make Me Like You, which I will give her props for. But still, this song just sucks, and is just so bland. I really hope she doesn't win that Grammy. Just give it to SZA. She did good in her new album. 

She's had other songs. The Clean Bandit song, I Miss You was alright, but then again, they had Symphony, a great 2017 song, that didn't even chart. No, people were too busy listening to trap rappers and actual rapists this year. Oh, and there's Uh Huh. Heard a snippet of it, and yeah..she can't sing. All I gotta say is..why are we always being unoriginal?


So...that was it. These will be longer soon, but I did have to give my thoughts on the most overrated song of last year. I just don't get the acclaim.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Timberlake - Man Of The Woods (2018) Review

Taylor Swift's 1989 (2014) Review

Little Mix - Salute (2013) Review